April 22, 2014 | Leave a Comment
Courtesy of TeamWork Online: The Elmira Jackals professional hockey team is looking for qualified college juniors and seniors to work as communications interns during the 2014-15 season which runs from October 2014 to April 2015. This internship is ideal for students who are interested in pursuing a career in public relations, broadcasting, or journalism; specifically in the sports industry. Communications interns will be responsible for assisting the Director of Broadcasting and Media Relations in managing the working media on game nights, producing online content, and more.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage the press box for all Jackals home games (preseason, regular season, and playoffs).
• Coordinate post-game media interviews.
• Submit one feature story per week for www.jackalshockey.com.
• Compose a 2-4 minute video highlight package each week of the season.
• Contribute to radio broadcasts of home games through player interviews and intermission reports.
• Assist in pitching story ideas to local media.
• Assist in updating team roster, player biographic information, and game notes.
• Participate in the team’s social media outlets.
• Catalogue game-day photos.
• Write press release drafts.
• Other duties assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• This is an unpaid internship. Applicants must be working internship for college credit towards graduation.
• Only college juniors and seniors may apply.
• Candidates must possess superior written and communication skills.
• Candidates must have a firm knowledge of hockey.
• Ideal candidates will be experienced in video and audio editing (Final Cut Pro, Adobe Audition, Pro Tools, Audacity, etc.).
• Experience in conducting interviews for radio or television is preferred.
• Candidates must be available to work all Jackals home games.
• Candidates must possess superior interpersonal skills.
• Candidates must display the ability to handle multiple projects at once and work on deadline.
• Candidates must display a sound knowledge of social media outlets, specifically Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
• Candidates must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office.
Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Are you a junior or senior in college?
2. Can you work all Jackals home games?
3. Do you have a firm knowledge of hockey?