Courtesy of TeamWork Online, below is an internship opportunity with the Milwaukee Bucks in their public relations department.
The primary purpose of the position is to assist the public relations department in publicizing the daily in-season events of the Milwaukee Bucks basketball team, aggressively promote the team’s off-court corporate sales, ticket sales and community relations initiatives, assist in the editorial production of the team’s web site and assist in various team publications.
The ideal candidate will have strong people skills, some sports media experience, a willingness to work until the job is done, a desire to bring about positive change to the organization, and an ability to work well and thrive in a team environment. A monthly salary and benefits will be provided.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist in game-night preparations (credentials, media packets, etc.), attending every regular season home game (41 total), and preseason and postseason games as needed.
• Assist in the completion of game notes.
• Write and edit a variety of press releases for statewide distribution.
• Distribute information to media members (local and national).
• Receive and process media requests for interviews and team information.
• Contact media to inform them of breaking/upcoming news.
• Help provide and edit content for the Bucks Media Guide, Magazine and Web site.
• Maintain positive relationships with the media.
• Manage media lists, office files, news clipping archives and other databases.
• Work team practices as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communication, English, Sports Administration, or related field.
• Experience in sports media relations (professional or collegiate).
• Be a “people person” who will both excel in a fast-paced environment and work well with others.
• Possess strong writing skills, both technically and creatively.
• Have a strong understanding of various computer programs (e.g. Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office Word, Excel, etc.)
• Demonstrate an ability to handle multiple, time-sensitive tasks simultaneously.
• Be self-motivated with an ability to exercise superior judgment under pressure.
• Ability to work non-traditional hours (including nights and weekends).
Please send a cover letter, resume and portfolio/writing samples to:
Dan Smyczek, Director of Public Relations
3501 South Lake Drive, Suite 100
Milwaukee, WI 53235