With the 2015 Careers in Sport Symposium approaching (tomorrow, 9/26), the Department of Sport Management and Media wishes to announce our 2015 Award Recipients, which recognizes outstanding alumni, alumnae, and industry contacts.
Department of Sport Management and Media Award Recipients
Distinguished Alumnus/na Award (10+ years)
• Sport Management, 1998
• Current Position: Chief Marketing Officer, Doctors to Doctors Sales Solutions
• Previous Positions: Executive Director, Tigris Sponsorship & Marketing; Manager of Client Services, The Bonham Group
• Sport Management, 2000
• Current Position: Senior Director of Corporate Partnerships Activation, Boston Celtics
• Previous Position: Director of Corporate Partnerships Activation, Boston Celtics
• Sports Information and Communication, 2004
• Current Position: Vice President, Edelman Digital; Founder and Owner, The Fatherhood Guide; www.thebuzzbymikeschaffer.com
• Previous Position: Adjunct Professor, American University
Distinguished Young Alumnus/na Award (9 years and less)
• Sport Studies, 2012
• Current Position: Director of Ticket Sales, Syracuse Chiefs
• Sport Media, 2007
• Current Position: Sports Anchor/Reporter, WSTM-TV (NBC Affiliate)
• Previous Position: Sports Director, WENY-TV
• Sport Management, 2006
• Current Position: Senior Director for Sponsorship Sales, Office of the Commissioner (MLB)
• Previous Positions: Vice President, Premier Partnerships; Senior Director of Corporate Partnerships, Premier Partnerships; Coordinator of Team Marketing and Business Operations, NBA
• Sport Media, 2012; M.S. Communications, 2013
• Current Position: Baseball Operations Assistant, Arizona Diamondbacks
• Previous Position: Baseball Operations Assistant, Washington Nationals (Syracuse Chiefs)
• Sport Management, 2005
• Current Position: Associate Commissioner, East Coast Conference
• Previous Positions: Associate Director of Athletics and Senior Women’s Athletic Administrator, NYIT; Assistant Commissioner and Senior Women’s Athletic Administrator, East Coast Conference; Director of Media Relations, East Coast Conference; Marketing Coordinator, Dowling University
Alumnus/na Professional Service & Leadership Award
• Sport Management, 2010
• Current Position: Assistant Director of Athletics for Operations, Johns Hopkins University
• Previous Position: Athletic Facilities & Operations Assistant, Ithaca College
• Sport Media, 2006
• Current Position: Senior Manager of Corporate Partnerships Activation, Boston Celtics
• Previous Positions: Manager of Corporate Partnerships Activation, Boston Celtics; Coordinator of Corporate Partnerships Activation, Boston Celtics
• Sport Management, 2009
• Current Position: Manager of Ticket Operations, New York City Football Club, LLC
• Previous Position: Ticket Sales Account Manager, Brooklyn Nets
Sport Industry Professional Service & Leadership Award
• Communications, 2005
• Current Position: Marketing and Sales, CemeCon, Inc.
• Previous Positions: Senior Manager of Public Relations, Watkins Glen International; Adjunct Professor, Ithaca College
• Current Position: The Jay R. Bloom Head Coach of Men’s Hockey, Cornell University
“Live every day like it’s your last.”
“I came to Ithaca because the Athletic Training program is very strong here. I’ve heard wonderful things about. My friend’s dad went here. My neighbors are also originally from this area so they told me the areas nice with the gorges, and that it’s a great school.”
“There are so many places to explore. That’s why Ithaca is so hard to leave. It doesn’t matter if I grew up here or not, it just keeps bringing me back.”
“This is where I find solitude and can ponder about the meaning of life.”
“I have really bendy fingers. I don’t know if that’s actually a talent.”
“Many people don’t know this, but I’m actually a volunteer firefighter. I started as a junior volunteer firefighter in the 8th grade and eventually made it to be a full-fledged volunteer by the time I was seventeen years old.
One night we got a call about an accident on 9A, which is a very narrow two-lane highway in my hometown. A car had hit a bicyclist and the man who was injured was unresponsive. The bicycle itself was crumpled together and looked as if there was only one wheel when there should’ve been two. I performed CPR on John Doe while the EMT was giving him mouth-to-mouth. He continued to be unresponsive as the ambulance arrived and he was transported to the hospital.
We waited outside the hospital to see what would happen with this man. He ended up dying. I haven’t performed CPR since.”
“A lot of people say we shouldn’t waste youth on the young. Well, I say we shouldn’t waste wisdom on the old.”
“I have a bold personality but I am afraid to get out of my comfort zone because I feel like people will judge me.”
The Ithaca Youth Bureau seeks volunteers for fall events.
Per the official website, the Ithaca Youth Bureau (IYB), a public multi-service agency established 1948, provides a broad variety of recreation and youth development programs to promote the health, happiness, and well-being of all youth and families in the greater Ithaca area. We serve more than 7,500 youth annually, aged 0-20 years, through a wide array of programs.
• Concessions, chain gang, field and maintenance volunteer
• Announcer for games
If interested, please contact Michael Bianconi, Program Coordinator.